Tuesday, August 28, 2012

058

27 August 2012

Dear Homefront,
 
We're doing good here in Hopewell.  The work really seems to be picking up which is really good because that means we have more to keep us busy.  This past week was fairly quiet due to transfers and all that good stuff, but we still got plenty done.  On Thursday we had the actual transfer meeting so we picked up Elder Clawson.  He seems like someone I can get along with.  He's from Idaho, near Preston, and he loves to work on computers.  He's also been on bike for his whole mission so far so I hope he's enjoying this nice reprieve being in a car.
 
This transfer was a fairly large one, with 19 leaving and about that many coming in.  It's a miracle neither Elder Huntzinger or I left.  At the end of this transfer, I'll have been with him for six months and I'll have been in Hopewell for roughly nine.  That's a far cry from my second longest area when I served for three months in VA Beach. ;)  At transfer meeting, we had our usual safety videos, followed by the pairing of the trainers and the trainees, and then President Perry spoke.  I always enjoy hearing from him.  He spoke a little about our purpose as missionaries and then repeated one of his personal favorite refrains.  "When Satan knocks you down, stand back up and say 'I choose Christ!'"  It's amazing how inspirational such a short phrase can be.  Us standing back up is us repenting (if needed) and never admitting defeat.  Us choosing Christ is us focusing on what truly matters most.  We never give up, no matter the odds; and we do this because the prize is worth any obstacle.  Christ is worth it.
 
This week it was my privileged opportunity to attend church at Ft. Lee.  I'm always renewed by a service there, and by the special spirit that there presides.  My heart reaches out to those dear saints that struggle through the rigors of training, and still shake off the grasp of Babylon and come to Zion.  It is truly amazing and inspiring.
 
I love you all and hope you are well.  Stay safe, and keep hope burning bright.
 
With much love,
-Elder John Y. Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment