Monday, January 21, 2013

078

21 January 2013

Dear Homefront,
 
I hope that you are all well and safe.  Things are going alright here in the Gooch.  We received the first snow of the season here, and it actually shut us down for a while.  Apparently, most of Virginia is unprepared for large snow storms.  We probably only got about four inches, yet schools were shut down for at least a day.  Most of the snow is gone again now, but we might be expecting another flurry here sometime before the spring.
 
President's interviews were the true highlight of this week for me, though that was a little disorganized.  Due to the approaching storm and the mandate that we be off the roads when it began to come down, our interview times were bumped up by nearly two hours in order to allow us to have time to return to our apartment prior to when the storm was expected to arrive.
 
President Perry is one of the most amazing men that I have ever met, and I cherish every moment I am ever fortunate enough to spend in his presence.  That being said, having only 15 minutes for interviews is not nearly long enough.  Surprisingly, President spent most of this particular interview speaking, but I didn't mind.  Whenever he speaks, I almost always seem to find something in what he says that just hits me like a ton of bricks and gives me something to ponder on or study about.  In this interview, he told me something about myself that I never really realized before.  He said that he's noticed that when I have a mission - a goal - I can keep going on all cylinders.  As I've been pondering on that, I've realized how true it is.  When I have a specific goal, I'll find a way to get it done.  It reminds me of a proverb that President often quotes: "Where there is no vision, the people perish."  Usually, he quotes it speaking of our responsibility as missionaries to provide a vision to our investigators, but I never thought to apply it to this aspect of my life of how I seem to always be able to kick it into high gear when I have a specific objective to accomplish.
 
I'm grateful to the Lord for President.  The Lord knew that I needed a man like him to be placed in my path.  I love him, and I love the Lord.
 
I pray you all stay safe and well.  Keep hope alive,
With love,
-Elder John Y. Roberts
 
PS:  6 months left?!?  Where has the time gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment