Tuesday, January 29, 2013

079

28 January 2013

Dear Homefront,
I'm not really sure how to say how I'm feeling right now.  Why is it, that words always seem to fail when emotions are present?
This week wasn't too bad.  We got more snow which shut us down again because they want all mission vehicles off the roads when the snow is coming down then they usually let us back out sometime the next day after the sun's had a chance to get most of it off the main roads.  It feels like home to me lately because it's been rare for us to get above the mid-40s most days which is actually making it seem like we're having a winter.  I truly feel sorry for the biking Elders.  It makes me really appreciate being in a car that has a heater.  It has also made me grateful for the thermals I bought a couple months ago as they've really helped me to retain what heat I do have.  On the bright side, unlike last year, all of the warm stuff I brought with me is actually getting used on a regular basis like my sweater and scarf and coat.
Other than the excitement of the snow, not too terribly much happened in Goochland.  We were, however, invited to return to Burkeville last Saturday for the baptism of one (sister) who has been wanting that day to come since before I served there a year ago.  The last obstacle standing in her way was removed when her birth mother finally granted her consent to allow her to enter the waters of baptism and make those covenants with her Lord.
To get to Burkeville, it was a long (a little over an hour each way), but beautiful drive across the Virginia countryside.  I also happened to see some humorous street signs along the way such as Tobaccoville and Pridesville which were just a mile or so past Scotland Ln.  I still miss the simplicity of the grid system of the West, and I have to wonder how some of these road names came to be.  Oh well, that's why the good Lord allowed GPS's to be invented, right?
Church was very nice with the topic in sacrament meeting being faith and prayer.  In Sunday School, we talked about the Atonement.  All of which, I felt, went very well together.  Faith is the glue that holds everything together and the others are some of the most amazing gifts our Heavenly Father has granted us.  I thank the Lord every day for the wonderful blessings He has poured out upon me.
Transfer calls are this week, so we'll know what's happening on that side of things by the next email I send.  I have a strong impression that I'll be moving again (oh the dread of packing...), but whatever happens it will be for the best.
I love you all.  Stay safe, and keep hope burning bright.
With much love,
-Elder John Y. Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment