Tuesday, May 7, 2013

094

6 May 2013

Dear Homefront,

This week has been a long one, but a very good one.  In the awesome news, ---, one of our investigators has committed to baptism on 1 June.

To answer your question, yes, there were some tornado watches in the surrounding area and some pretty decent storms a couple weeks back.  To my knowledge, there were no touchdowns anywhere near me and no damage done.  Obviously, I'm safe enough to still be writing this letter. ;)

I got the packages earlier this week.  Thank you.  I do like the tie, not as much as the Evans tie, but I still do.  And no, it is most certainly not the craziest missionary tie I've seen.  I haven't made the goodies yet because I honestly haven't been working out like I should, for a combination of reasons, so I've been feeling somewhat fat and trying to eat a little healthier.  I really enjoyed the missionary stories about my ancestors.  Since being on my mission, I've discovered a desire to do family history work, then I logged onto familysearch.org and realized that I was vastly out of my league where everybody that I probably could've found on my own has already been found and all the info updated.  I still would like to learn more about my ancestors and my roots.

On my mission, I've also gained a deeper reverence for the sabbath day as I have for the gospel as a whole. Part of that reverence has come from a deeper understanding of the Sacrament.  This week we had some really powerful lessons.  In Hopewell, the Elders Quorum studied President Uchtdorf's talk from the last Priesthood session which goes through four titles he feels apply to every priesthood holder in the world.  In Sunday School, Brother Murray (funny as usual) led a discussion of the lesson "The Church of Jesus Christ Today" from the Gospel Principles manual.  He just has a way of teaching that makes it both fun and engaging, no matter how many times you've heard the material.  In the Ft. Lee Branch, Brother Morgan gave the lesson from Elder Perry's last conference address entitled "Obedience to the Law brings Freedom." It's interesting to think that society as a whole only really has laws in place to enforce obedience to four of the original ten commandments the Lord gave to Moses.  The laws of the land keep shifting their standards whereas the laws of God remain sure and everlasting.

I'm grateful for the solid foundation the Gospel provides in my life.  I know where I stand and what is right. I love the Lord.

Stay safe, stay happy.  Keep fanning the flames of faith.

With much love,
-Elder John Y. Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment