Wednesday, July 17, 2013

104

15 July 2013

Dear Homefront,

Well, this is it.  The end has come and this will be my last email as a missionary.  I can't quite explain my feelings as I stand at the threshold, watching as one phase of life comes to a close and another begins to open upon me.  It is somewhat bittersweet to leave, and yet, I look forward and see nothing but bright flames of hope on the horizon.

This final week has flown by in a blur of missionary work, meetings, packing, and farewells.  Tonight, those of us who are departing will report to the mission home in Richmond and have our final interviews with President Wilson ... A part of me wishes it was still President Perry, and yet, I know that President Wilson has been called of God and I have faith in that even though I have not had much opportunity to get to know him.  Tomorrow we will fly, each to our respective destinations, home, to lay down the mantle and pick back up our lives.

The retrospect of looking over the past two years arouses within me a sense of timeless wonder.  I'm not sure how I did it, excepting the hand of the Lord being upon me the entire time.  The Lord has blessed me exceedingly, and I am eternally grateful for the lessons I have learned and for the experiences I have had.  I am at peace.

I love you all deeply, and thank you for the many prayers on my behalf.  I have felt their sustaining influence.  I look forward to seeing you all again as I return from an honorable mission and step forth into the next great adventure.  As Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration taught: "Shall we not go on in so great a cause?"

With much love,
-Elder John Y. Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment