Wednesday, July 17, 2013

103

8 July 2013

Dear Homefront,

Just my luck to have all the festivities happening right before I got home to enjoy them.  Oh well, guess there's always next year.  And I'll be home just in time for Pioneer Day, so that'll be fun.

So this week was pretty good out here in the VRM.  We had a lot of meetings so our schedule was pretty full.  On Tuesday, we had a full Mission Conference so we met President and Sister Wilson as well as all of the missionaries we pulled in from D.C. South.  It just made me feel even more like the old guy in the mission.  Over the past few months, I've begun to realize that I don't know the majority of the people in the mission and then there were two brand new zones worth of missionaries that I've never met before.  That's when I also realized that of all of the companions I've had, two go home with me, and only two are younger than me in the mission.  And for the vast majority of the missionaries I've worked with its mostly the same.  Its odd to think that within a few months, I'll probably be nothing more than a fading memory in the minds of missionaries, kept alive solely by the fact that I spent 15 months in one area.

On Wednesday, we made another trek up to Richmond.  This time so Elder Joyner could visit with his doctor to tie up all the loose ends and be ready to go back to Utah.  Not too much excitement, but the drive was enjoyable.

Thursday, the 4th, we unfortunately had to be in by 8 pm so we weren't able to see any fireworks.  Ft. Lee put on a show, but our apartment is on the wrong side of the complex; otherwise we could've watched it from our balcony.  But we made the best of the day by going out and visiting Petersburg National Battlefield, where such events as the Battle of the Crater took place.  It would've been more enjoyable if it hadn't have been quite so hot or if we hadn't have been in shirts and ties.  It was still pretty interesting.  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera today so you'll just have to wait for some of the pictures I took.

Friday we had a Zone Meeting.  This one was different from others in the fact that out of our Zone of 20-something missionaries, roughly 7 of us are going home this transfer.  Occasionally in Zone Meetings they'll do "Departing Testimonies" but this time, that took up nearly half the meeting.  I'll be interested to see what will happen next transfer when all of us leave, as we make up about 80% of the missionaries leaving this transfer so the Chesterfield Zone is going to just be decimated.  Guess the Lord had a reason for that.

At any rate, I think that's pretty much all the news from me.  Only 8 days more to serve.  I love you all.  Stay safe, stay happy, and I'll see you soon.

With much love,
-Elder John Y. Roberts

PS:  Do you know when I'll be able to meet with Pres. Welch to be released?  I'm just wondering.  Also, you didn't answer me about those student loan offers.  I guess we can talk about that when I get home and some things are settled.  I will be sending some more packages as I start packing and figure out what I can and can't fit in my suitcases and within weight requirements.  We'll see.  Love ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment