Monday, September 26, 2011

011

26 September 2011

Dear Homefront,

So many questions make things difficult. Let's start with the simplest ones.

No, I did not get your mailed letter before I got transferred, but Elder Beardall said he would forward any letters that arrived there.

The transfer went well. One of the members in the Mechanicsville ward drove us to the meeting in his truck so I could pack luggage and my bike. Then everything got loaded up in the Assistant's truck and the luggage trailer and everybody that was going to the other side of the mission (me included) loaded into the transfer van, and we drove the two hours to the other meeting where I met my new companions, loaded my luggage in the trunk, and put my bike on their car's bike rack and drove to the apartment (well, more like small condo (I'll send pictures when I can)).

Address:

Elder John Y. Roberts
4917 Shallowford Circle
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

The baptism went great, and I assume the confirmation went well (for convert baptisms, they confirm them in sacrament meeting the next Sunday).

The new wards are great, though 5+ hours of church is a little much for me. Meetings from 9:30 when they have ward council and then one ward starts at 11 and the other at 1. There are also Sister Missionaries in the Salem ward, which helps us focus a little more on the YSA branch, but we still work together.

The apartment is a little cramped because we share it with another set of Elders so there are five of us in there. We all sleep in the same room so our beds don't even have frames, there's just five mattresses and one couch (for whoever) on the floor.

Today is Elder Farr's birthday, and to celebrate, a member of the YSA branch took us to Texas Roadhouse Saturday night and basically ordered us (he's a marine) to eat to our hearts content. When I said that I was going to go with a burger, he got on my case about how "we were at a STEAK house." He didn't let up until I ordered a steak (which I have to admit was absolutly delicious), and he wouldn't let us leave without ordering dessert. It kind of reminded me of Dad's family and how they will always tell you to get whatever you want and then will fork the bill without even letting you see it. And then the member totally threw Elder Farr under the bus. There, when it's your birthday, they bring out this saddle and make you sit in it. Then, yelling as loud as they can, they announce your birthday to the whole resturant. It was hilarious, and I wish I had taken my camera.

Well, that's the news so far. More to come later.

With love,
Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment