Monday, November 14, 2011

017

Dear Homefront,

Happy Birthday Mother. And Happy Veterans Day Dad.

Well, the work here has slowed down considerably. We've baptized almost all of our investigators. I guess we'll just have to go out and find some more.

So, This past week has been very interesting ... I've had my first experience with a Baptist service. One of Elder Narramore's former investigators passed away and we recieved permission to attend the funeral, it was in a Baptist church and presided over by a Baptist Reverend. Their way of worship is ... I guess 'different' would be the best word I can use. Not necessarily in a bad way just different than what I'm used to. However the family was very kind to us and one of the missionaries that had been teaching this man at the time of his passing was asked to speak. The program also included a special thanks to "The Church of Latter Day Saints." They missed the 'Jesus Christ' part, but it was nice none-the-less.

Then later that night, two recent converts in the ward got married. They had begged and begged and permission had been granted for the missionaries who had been a part of their conversions to attend as long as they could make it back to their own areas that night. It was a nice ceremony on the beach with the Bishop presiding and then they had their reception in the gym of the meetinghouse. So that day was long and hectic.

So, I'm sorry that I really don't have much to write about. Not a whole lot happened this week other than those two happenings. I'm alive and well so I'm not going to complain. All of the weight I've gained has been in muscle and my clothes all fit fine, if not better as I've built up just a little around my chest and shoulders.

I recently found out that Elder Farr's mother makes "mission rings." They're plain band rings which are laser engraved with the name of the mission that either you (or our near and dear missionary) are serving in. She has a website with details at mymissionring.com.

Well, that's all for now. I love you all.
-Elder John Y. Roberts