Tuesday, January 17, 2012

026

16 January 2012

Dear Homefront,

I got a slew of packages and letters this week ... All but one of them much belated Christmas gifts. I'd like to take this time to say thank you to all those who sent them. That one contained the exciting news of yet another engagement (and by extension a marriage that I'll miss), this one of Brian and Ellie.

On Wednesday this week, I went on exchanges with our Zone Leaders and it made me realize something. As much as I love the country and the beauty it has, my personality is better suited to the city (or at least a suburban setting). And I was reminded again why I love Singles Wards. Oh well, I go where I'm sent because I'm needed there (at least that's the theory). No, there's only one branch here in Burkeville. The only place I've had two was in VA Beach. Missionaries will be asked to help out in one way or more almost every week, especially in smaller congregations, usually helping with the sacrament. I have yet to teach a class, but I have spoken in sacrament meetings. That's another thing that's odd about Burkeville, due to such a small active membership, they don't have a second hour Sunday School class, just Sacrament and Priesthood/Auxilliary meetings.

This week seemed to be mostly consumed in more service. Cutting down trees, chopping it into firewood, stacking firewood, mucking out horse-stalls, clearing land, etc., until it got too cold to do much of anything. It looks like our good weather luck has run out in Virginia and winter has finally hit, still no snow though, just cold.

My clothing is holding up just fine, I've had to sew a fallen hem on a pair of my slacks and mend a very small hole on one of my shirt-tails but other than that, not much wear and tear (which seems surprising, but good at the same time).

A couple days ago, you would've thought we were getting invaded though. There was a huge convoy of Humvees that rolled through town headed towards Fort Pickett. Apparently there are a couple regiments of Marines and a contingent of Canadians that are all training there right now. Apparently it's the largest Urban Assault Training course on the East Coast. The air has been full of helo's and there've been jeeps roaming the streets lately. Still yet to see any tanks, but oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

I hope everything's going well and everyone's safe.
I love you all.
-Elder John Y. Roberts

PS: No, I havent had my suits cleaned yet but I really don't wear them that often. Church and meetings. It might have to wait until I get transferred again. I have yet to see a cleaners around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment