Thursday, February 14, 2013

081

11 February 2013

Dear Homefront,
 
So far so good in Hopewell.  It's been an interesting couple days as I've waded through a wave of nostalgia.  I must say, it's nice to be the "new guy" going into an area and still know more about where things are and how to get places than your companion. ;)  It's also been good to run into so many people that I know and not feel the awkwardness of actually being a "new guy" to them.
 
There has been a lot of change in the past 4.5 months though.  I walked into the apartment and realized that nothing was quite the way I left it.  That'll take some getting used to because it had been the exact same way for most of my sojourn here before.  Also, things have changed at church as well, the perpetual curse of a military area being the transiency and a couple good families that I knew really well are now gone.
 
They've also experienced quite a bit of change out on post as well.  The Spiritual Fitness Center (where our happy little branch met before) was technically on the block for demolition in December to clear room for new and better barracks and training facilities to be built.  After a lot of work with the Chaplains corps, we finally found a place that would suit our needs (for the most part) and we now meet in the Heritage Chapel, a small, multi use chapel on the corner of a couple main roads.  With the change in venue, came the need to change our meeting times so now we meet in the afternoon on Sunday which means that Elder Starks and I have a full day of church because we go to two separate blocks of meetings.
 
All in all, it just feels good to be back.  I feel hopeful for this transfer and I feel good about all of this.
 
A little about my companion:  Elder Starks from Kaysville, UT (where Davis HS is).  He stands just over 5' (probably the shortest Elder in the mission) and has a fun sense of humor.  This'll definately be an interesting transfer to say the least.
 
I love you all and hope you are well.
 
As always,
Elder John Y. Roberts
 
PS:  Before I forget again.  Elder Andersen stayed in Goochland and Elder Burg from downtown Richmond became the new district leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment